Can I revoke my authorization to share my health information?

Under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) rules, you have the right to revoke your authorization to share your health information at any time. However, the revocation has to be in writing and signed by you and it may take a little while to go into effect. Contact your healthcare provider to find out exactly who to send your letter to.

You can revoke authorization to share your health information at any time. You, or someone representing you, must make the request in writing. Be sure to sign and date the request.

If you have agreed to share your health information for research purposes, you can cancel your authorization in writing by following the instructions on the authorization form. After the research study team receives your cancellation, they can't use your personal health information except in certain circumstances. For example, they may need to report when you cancelled your authorization, or share information to ensure that the research study is still reliable.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How to Break the Health Insurance-Stress Cycle
The plot of the TV series Breaking Bad hinged on the premise that overwhelming stress caused by out-of-pocket costs for cancer treatment could turn a ...
How do I check that my insurance covers breast cancer surgery expenses?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Prior to admittance, you need to check with both the hospital and your health-insurance carrier to d...
Can my young adult children stay on my health plan?
Your young adult children can stay on your health plan until they turn 26 years old. The Patient Pro...
Why Do You Call Yourselves a Health Solutions Company?