How can I qualify for health insurance if I am raising a grandchild?

To see if you qualify for health insurance if you are raising your grandchild, talk to someone at your state's Department of Health and Human Services or department of insurance, log on to the website www.insurekidsnow.gov or call 1-877-KIDS-NOW (1-877-543-7669), a free and confidential hotline, to be connected to your state's program.

There are many possible sources of health insurance for children.
  • If you have a health plan provided by your employer, check with your own health insurance benefits administrator to see if the plan provides benefits to dependents and whether your grandchild could fit the plan’s definition of “dependent” (often the child must be claimed as a dependent on your income tax).
  • If you are receiving a "child only" grant from the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program, your grandchild will qualify for health insurance provided through Medicaid. This benefit is available regardless of your income level or assets, and does not require a court order regarding custody. 
  • See if your grandchild is eligible for the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP).  You can fill out an application at www.healthcare.gov , or find out about Medicaid and CHIP programs in your state at www.insurekidsnow.gov or by calling 1-877-543-7669.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How to Make Sense of Your Health Insurance Coverage
It happened again—another mysterious medical bill has arrived for treatment you thought was covered under your health insurance policy. Before the fru...
How do I get reimbursed under my health reimbursement account (HRA)?
Receiving funds from your health reimbursement account (HRA) may be done in one of a few different w...
What long-term needs should I consider when reviewing my life insurance?
Philip Lisagor, MDPhilip Lisagor, MD
When reviewing your long-term life insurance coverage needs, you should consider: How many peopl...
Who Are the Key Players in Healthy Living?