How can I get life insurance if I've had cancer?

Generally, in order to purchase life insurance when you've had cancer, you must:
  • Be in remission or cured
  • Be at least three months past the date of your last treatment, or in some cases as long as five years
  • Be in general good health
  • Be between 21 and 90 years old
A life insurance company is more likely to insure the following types of cancer survivors:
  • Stage I breast cancer
  • Prostate cancer
  • Low grade, localized testicular cancer if you are at least five years from your last treatment
  • Cancers that were caught and treated early
There is likely to be more difficulty getting life insurance if you:
  • Smoke or use tobacco products
  • Had cancer at Stage 2 or higher
  • Have had a recurrence or new diagnosis of cancer
  • Have cancer that has spread or metastasized
  • Had diagnoses of multiple cancers
  • Had cancer combined with heart, kidney, or other diseases
You must be completely honest with life insurance companies. Before writing a life insurance policy, all companies carefully review the medical records of the prospective policyholder. If you are not honest with the life insurance company, you can be denied some or all of your life insurance benefits and an existing policy can be canceled.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

What is an HSA and Should You Have One?
What is an HSA and Should You Have One?
When preparing for the future, many people automatically think about covering the basics, such as food and housing, and maybe travel plans or other pl...
What are the origins of health insurance?
In 1850, the first U.S. insurance firm was founded. It offered insurance against injuries received d...
What is permanent life insurance?
Maria Ferrante-SchepisMaria Ferrante-Schepis
Permanent life insurance is the type of life insurance you would buy to cover financial obligations ...
How Do You Get Consumers to Engage in Their Health?