How will insurance companies use my medical information?

Aside from contributing to the determination of annual premiums, insurance companies may look at your medical information from a disease management standpoint. For example, if you have been diagnosed with diabetes or asthma, many insurers have programs that help subscribers track and proactively manage their disease.  The insurance company may employ nurse case managers or specially trained educators to assist patients through disease specific programs. If you do have a chronic condition, find out if you qualify for special programs through your insurer.  

In addition to the chronic disease management programs, there are programs designed for patients who are going through high-cost, acute care treatments as well.  Insurance companies often have registered nurses working as case managers who monitor systems that when the medical claims reach a certain amount (say $50,000), an alert is produced.  The case manager at the insurance company will reach out by phone to the patient and/or family to offer their help and support.  This is a voluntary program so families can refuse the offer. It will not affect your care or your insurance eligibility.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

What are out-of-pocket expenses?
Out-of-pocket expenses are the costs of your health care you have to pay yourself. Your insurance do...
How do I check that my insurance covers breast cancer surgery expenses?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Prior to admittance, you need to check with both the hospital and your health-insurance carrier to d...
What is health insurance?
Health insurance is a formal agreement to provide and/or pay for medical care. The health insurance ...
What is a HIPAA notice?
ONC Consumer eHealth & Blue ButtonONC Consumer eHealth & Blue Button
Most of your healthcare providers and your health insurance company must give you a HIPPA notice, or...