How much does insurance influence doctors' decisions?

For doctors, health insurance is one of the most influential factors we deal with in practicing medicine, just under saving patients’ lives. For example, let’s say we have a medication that is perfect for you but costs $140 a month after insurance; a less good medication costs $4 a month after insurance. Your doc often elects second best for you so you have a few bucks left to eat. Similarly, the insurance coverage drives almost every other medical decision we make, including which tests and procedures we can use to diagnose and treat patients, and even which patients we care for. Doctors act independently of this concern usually only when making life-and-death decisions, and usually is the operative word.

YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How Can I Use My HSA Funds?
How Can I Use My HSA Funds?
If you are currently enrolled in an eligible high-deductible health insurance plan, contributing money to a health savings account (HSA) is a great wa...
What are out-of-pocket expenses?
Out-of-pocket expenses are the costs of your health care you have to pay yourself. Your insurance do...
How does my doctor keep my electronic health records private?
Office of the National Coordinator for Health ITOffice of the National Coordinator for Health IT
The HIPAA Security Rule requires providers to assess the security of their electronic health record ...
How Is Your Insurance Company Model Different?