Does health insurance pay for over-the-counter medications?

Insurance plans may not cover the costs of over-the-counter (OTC) medications, but read your plan documents carefully to find out whether your plan does, and if so, which OTC medications. Medicaid plans do include coverage for necessary OTC medications, which may vary by state, and may not include common drugs like painkillers or cold symptom remedies. In addition, if your health insurer offers you the opportunity to open a flexible spending account, you may be able to use the tax-free funds in that account to pay for some OTC medicines, saving you money. 

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

7 Questions to Ask About Health Insurance Before Taking a Job
Congratulations on the job offer! Once salary negotiations have ended and you’re almost ready to sign on the dotted line, it will be time to delve int...
How Can I Use My HSA Funds?
How Can I Use My HSA Funds?
If you are currently enrolled in an eligible high-deductible health insurance plan, contributing money to a health savings account (HSA) is a great wa...
What is covered under health insurance if I have diabetes?
Can I get health insurance coverage if I have diabetes? If you have diabetes and join a group health...
Can I revoke my authorization to share my health information?
You can revoke authorization to share your health information at any time. Learn more from our exper...