Does health insurance pay for over-the-counter medications?

Insurance plans may not cover the costs of over-the-counter (OTC) medications, but read your plan documents carefully to find out whether your plan does, and if so, which OTC medications. Medicaid plans do include coverage for necessary OTC medications, which may vary by state, and may not include common drugs like painkillers or cold symptom remedies. In addition, if your health insurer offers you the opportunity to open a flexible spending account, you may be able to use the tax-free funds in that account to pay for some OTC medicines, saving you money. 

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How Can I Use My HSA Funds?
How Can I Use My HSA Funds?
If you are currently enrolled in an eligible high-deductible health insurance plan, contributing money to a health savings account (HSA) is a great wa...
How can I control who gets information about my health care?
SharecareSharecare
By federal law, your medical information is kept private with certain exceptions. Your information m...
How to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at Work
How to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at Work
Ask these five questions to save money and ensure you and your family get the right care. You were offered a new job and you’ve accepted the position—...
What Do You Think About Preventative Care?