Q

Health Insurance

What should I do if I can’t afford to pay my health insurance bill?

• A , Nursing, answered
    If you are unable to pay your healthcare premium, there are several different things to explore.
    1. If it is a temporary issue, check with your current health care insurance to see if they have a program to defer payments.
    2. Some people qualify for Medicaid. Rules for Medicaid are different for each state so you need to investigate if this is an opportunity in your state. Medicaid has been expanded in several states which has increased the number of people who are eligible.
    3. If your income is considered moderate to low, you may qualify for premium tax credits. This is where you only pay part of the premium for your health insurance.  There are also programs which lower the out-of-pocket owed when receiving care.   Check with your state health exchange or go to www.healthcare.gov for more information.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
What are the different payments I will make with a health insurance plan?