Health Insurance

What should I do if I can’t afford to pay my health insurance bill?

• AJoane Goodroe, Nursing, answered
    If you are unable to pay your healthcare premium, there are several different things to explore.
    1. If it is a temporary issue, check with your current health care insurance to see if they have a program to defer payments.
    2. Some people qualify for Medicaid. Rules for Medicaid are different for each state so you need to investigate if this is an opportunity in your state. Medicaid has been expanded in several states which has increased the number of people who are eligible.
    3. If your income is considered moderate to low, you may qualify for premium tax credits. This is where you only pay part of the premium for your health insurance.  There are also programs which lower the out-of-pocket owed when receiving care.   Check with your state health exchange or go to for more information.
  • AUnitedHealthcare answered

If you think you can’t afford your medical bill, call your insurance company’s customer service department to learn more about making alternate payment arrangements. They might set up a monthly payment plan that is mutually agreeable or you may be eligible for financial assistance. They will talk to you about your options so you can decide which one best fits your needs.

What are the different payments I will make with a health insurance plan?