What should I do if I can’t afford to pay my health insurance bill?

Joane Goodroe
Nursing
If you are unable to pay your healthcare premium, there are several different things to explore.
  1. If it is a temporary issue, check with your current health care insurance to see if they have a program to defer payments.
  2. Some people qualify for Medicaid. Rules for Medicaid are different for each state so you need to investigate if this is an opportunity in your state. Medicaid has been expanded in several states which has increased the number of people who are eligible.
  3. If your income is considered moderate to low, you may qualify for premium tax credits. This is where you only pay part of the premium for your health insurance.  There are also programs which lower the out-of-pocket owed when receiving care.   Check with your state health exchange or go to www.healthcare.gov for more information.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

News: More Americans Are Uninsured Now Than in 2016
In the past year, the percentage of American adults without health insurance increased 1.3 percent—which is equivalent to approximately 3.2 million Am...
How do I select a primary care doctor?
Dr. Scott A. Wolf, DODr. Scott A. Wolf, DO
When selecting a primary care physician (PCP), you should evaluate many factors, including the docto...
How can I control who gets information about my health care?
SharecareSharecare
By federal law, your medical information is kept private with certain exceptions. Your information m...
In What Ways Do You Think the American Healthcare System is Broken?