What type of primary care physician (PCP) is best for me?

Scott A. Wolf, DO
The choice of which type of primary care physician (PCP) is best for you may come down to where you are in life. For your PCP you can choose among several types of doctors, including family medicine practitioners, internists and OB/GYNs.  Many women, for example, maintain an OB/GYN as their PCP, especially as they plan or have families. When they stop having children, they might transition to a family medicine doctor, who sees children through the elderly, or an internist, who focuses only on adults. Many families prefer family medicine practitioners because every member can see the same doctor.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Not Seeing This Doc? You Could Be Shortchanging Your Health
Even though synonyms for the word “primary” include “chief,” “key,” “crucial,” and “most important,” 30 percent of American adults and nearly half of ...
How does training differ between a DO and MD?
Lone Peak HospitalLone Peak Hospital
The training, or educational requirements, for a doctor of osteopathic (DO) medicine and a medical d...
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
If you’ve gained a little weight or your hair is a bit thinner, check out some common problems and what they may mean for your health.
How Do You Persuade a Physician to Prescribe Your Wellaho Software?