What is a Solitaire catheter?

When a blood clot forms in the brain it causes a stroke, and areas of the brain that control speech, movement or memory can be permanently damaged. This can be treated with a device called a Solitaire catheter. When the catheter goes in it actually expands the whole size of the clot. When it opens up, it pushes away the clot. The blood flow is immediately restored to the brain, and the whole clot then becomes removed.

Around 1.6 million brain cells can die every minute they are without blood during a stroke. That's why it's so important to treat it quickly. The Solitaire catheter can restore blood flow rapidly, and a person who would normally have severe disability or potentially have died due to a stroke is able to walk out of hospital with virtually no disabilities.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Prime Directive for Healthcare
Prime Directive for Healthcare
In Star Trek, the Prime Directive may work well to protect less advanced societies from contamination by the hyper-techy world of Starfleet. But in th...
What are the challenges for minorities getting access to healthcare?
Riverside Community HospitalRiverside Community Hospital
Minority populations in the United States face several challenges when getting access to healthcare:...
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
If you’ve gained a little weight or your hair is a bit thinner, check out some common problems and what they may mean for your health.
DNA Economy: Using Genetic Information to Improve Health