What is a heart hospital?

Deb Cordes
Deb Cordes on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
A heart hospital is a hospital that specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of heart disease. It can be a free-standing hospital or it can be a section of a large hospital that is designated as a heart hospital. Whether it is free-standing or incorporated into a section of the larger hospital it specializes only in the diagnosis and treatment of  heart disease. The nurses and doctors that work in these areas receive special training in the diagnosis and treatment of heart disease.  
A heart hospital is a hospital that specializes in the treatment of cardiovascular disease. The hospital may perform cardiovascular procedures exclusively or also provide emergency care and other services to patients.
Heart hospitals can treat cardiovascular disease anywhere along the spectrum of care - using treatments ranging from the less invasive (lifestyle changes, medication) to somewhat more invasive (balloon angioplasty, stenting) to most invasive (bypass surgery). Your cardiologist at a heart hospital will assess the level of severity of your cardiovascular disease and recommend appropriate life-saving treatments.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Why Busy ERs May Be Better
Why Busy ERs May Be Better
You’re having a medical emergency—do you go to the emergency room where the waiting room always seems crowded? Or head to the quieter one where you fi...
What information about my power of attorney should I organize before I die?
EverplansEverplans
It is important to organize your power of attorney (POA) information before you die. The information...
How should I follow up with my doctor after a hospital stay?
After a hospital stay you should call your doctor to make an appointment and let the front office kn...
How might my loved one react to the diagnosis of a terminal illness?
David KuhlDavid Kuhl
The moment someone is told that their illness will likely result in death, time changes. Paradox...