What is a heart hospital?

Deb Cordes
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
A heart hospital is a hospital that specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of heart disease. It can be a free-standing hospital or it can be a section of a large hospital that is designated as a heart hospital. Whether it is free-standing or incorporated into a section of the larger hospital it specializes only in the diagnosis and treatment of  heart disease. The nurses and doctors that work in these areas receive special training in the diagnosis and treatment of heart disease.  

Healthcare has become a very competitive business.  And because of that competition, healthcare facilities are all vying for the same patients.  And since heart disease is the #1 problem in the United States, there's a pretty big pool of potential customers.

Many years ago, it became the marketing-department-thing-to-do for hospitals to declare themselves a 'heart hospital.'  It was a simple way of telling what you were good at. And the 'hospital' may merely have been a division or a department in a larger healthcare facility but in consumers minds it was 'the heart hospital.' 

And while heart hospitals do specialize in the treatment of cardiovascular disease, so do alot of 'regular' hospitals with Cardiology Divisions.  Just because a facility declares itself a heart hospital doesn't mean it's the #1 place to be treated.  You still need to do your homework and find the best facility for you. 

A heart hospital is a hospital that specializes in the treatment of cardiovascular disease. The hospital may perform cardiovascular procedures exclusively or also provide emergency care and other services to patients.
Heart hospitals can treat cardiovascular disease anywhere along the spectrum of care - using treatments ranging from the less invasive (lifestyle changes, medication) to somewhat more invasive (balloon angioplasty, stenting) to most invasive (bypass surgery). Your cardiologist at a heart hospital will assess the level of severity of your cardiovascular disease and recommend appropriate life-saving treatments.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Prime Directive for Healthcare
Prime Directive for Healthcare
In Star Trek, the Prime Directive may work well to protect less advanced societies from contamination by the hyper-techy world of Starfleet. But in th...
How can we prevent biodiversity extinction?
Edward O. WilsonEdward O. Wilson
There are two important factors necessary to stabilize biodiversity in the world, says renowned biol...
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
If you’ve gained a little weight or your hair is a bit thinner, check out some common problems and what they may mean for your health.
Do You Think the Quantified Self Is a Passing Fad in Health?