What is euthanasia?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Euthanasia, also known as mercy killing, is the intentional ending of life that is deemed beneficial for a person who is suffering. Euthanasia is a general term that includes the possibility of intervening to end life by action or allowing for life to end through omitting care, or providing the individual with everything needed to kill themselves as in assisted suicide. The term euthanasia also allows for the possibility of the act being voluntarily requested, not requested or consented to, or against the wishes of the person killed. Euthanasia is a highly debated topic among medical professionals, religious groups, and others interested in life and death issues.

Rick Sayegh
Rick Sayegh on behalf of MDLIVE
The term euthanasia without a qualifying phrase means voluntary active euthanasia; that is, the physician intentionally ends the patient's life at the patient's request and with the patient's full informed consent.

Medical Oncologist Dr. Devon Webster explains euthanasia. Watch Dr. Webster's video for tips and information on cancer and end-of-life choices.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Not Seeing This Doc? You Could Be Shortchanging Your Health
Even though synonyms for the word “primary” include “chief,” “key,” “crucial,” and “most important,” 30 percent of American adults and nearly half of ...
When I leave the hospital, will my family doctor be updated on my progress?
Dr. Umang Patel, DODr. Umang Patel, DO
When you leave the hospital, your family doctor will be updated on your progress. The discharging ph...
Top 5 Body Disasters -- At Work
Top 5 Body Disasters -- At WorkTop 5 Body Disasters -- At WorkTop 5 Body Disasters -- At WorkTop 5 Body Disasters -- At Work
Find out how to deal with these embarrassing issues that could derail your workday. A seemingly normal workday can quickly become horrific if your bod...
In Developing Countries, Is Traditional Medicine as Important as Modern Medicine?