What does a hospital chaplain do?

Being hospitalized is more than just physically challenging; it can be emotionally and spiritually challenging as well. Chaplains are there to provide support for the emotional and spiritual challenges that accompany illness and hospitalization.

Throughout the healthcare profession there is a growing understanding of the chaplain’s importance as a healthcare professional who does spiritual assessment for the patient and family, then determines what resources they can draw on and where they need support. Chaplains are there to listen to patient concerns, share with them in their faith struggles if they’re having any, and assist them in processing their experience of illness and hospitalization as well as seeking peace, strength or meaning in what’s happening.

Hospital chaplains help with requests for baptisms and other traditional Catholic or Christian sacraments such as communion. We have people who request the Catholic sacrament for the sick. We also have requests for Jewish prayers, sacred texts from various traditions, or requests to speak with a faith-specific religious leader such as an Imam or Buddhist monk. At times the request is for something less concrete, such as prayer support or simply to speak with a chaplain.
The hospital chaplains are available at all times to individuals, families, and staff of all faiths, as well as people with no faith tradition. Support from the chaplains includes:
  • faith exploration, prayer, referral to local faith groups, and access to religious rituals, as appropriate
  • spiritual comfort and empathy
  • pastoral care, including prayer
  • religious referral
  • sensitivity to religious and cultural traditions

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

The Major Health Risk You Take Every Day
Most people think smoking is the worst thing they can possibly do for their health. But in reality, perhaps the worst thing of all is something most o...
Are physical symptoms and physical disorders the same?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Physical symptoms and physical disorders (i.e. medical disorders where the etiology [cause] is estab...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
Why Silence Is Bad for Your Health
Why Silence Is Bad for Your Health