What are the leading causes of accidental death for women?

Celeste Robb-Nicholson
More than 40,000 women die of unintentional injuries annually. Three types of accidents -- motor vehicle accidents, poisoning, and falls -- accounted for about two-thirds of all accidental deaths.

Traffic accidents: The National Health Statistics don't divulge who was at the wheel in the roadway collisions that killed more than 14,000 women in 2006. Nor do they mention whether the women were wearing seat belts.

Falls: The leading cause of home-injury death, falls are responsible for the deaths of about 10,000 women.

Poisoning: The poisons involved tend to be substances found in most homes, particularly alcohol and prescription drugs. Overdoses of both claim the lives of almost 9,000 women annually.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Choosing a New Doctor? 5 Questions You Must Ask
My patient came in with wrist pain. She had fallen and seen a general orthopedic surgeon in her small town, who did an x-ray and saw no fracture. Stil...
What legal and financial documents should I organize before I die?
EverplansEverplans
It is important to organize your financial and legal documents before you die. For different financi...
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
Be honest, speak up and don't forget to stop in and say hello
Are We Overusing Technology in the Treatment of Children?