Why are hospital shift changes dangerous?

Shift changes happen regularly in hospitals, and these ‘changes of the guard’ can be dangerous. Shift changes have increased recently due to reductions in residency workload, a measure that is generally good, but that also means a greater number of people must discuss your care over the course of your hospital stay. Similar to what you might hear during a game of telephone, communication errors happen often during these stages in your care referred to as handoffs. During a shift change, the responsibility for your care is transferred from one care team to another. The fact that clinicians are tired after a long shift does not help make the process more reliable.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Why might a person who is dying reflect on her childhood?
David KuhlDavid Kuhl
To know who we are as adults we must understand who we were as children in the context of our fa...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
Is Our Healthcare System Broken?
Is Our Healthcare System Broken?
Have We Reached a Saturation Point with Mobile in Africa?