What do I need to know to apply for a patient drug assistance program?

Goldina Erowele
Caregiving

Applying for prescription assistance programs really depends on the type of program and the pharmaceutical company's requirements. In general, 

Please know that each pharmaceutical (drug) company with a patient assistance program (PAP) has its own sets requirements for its own program depending on the drug. The requirements can vary widely from one company to the next. Organizations such as Needymeds.org, Partnership for Prescription Assistance [http://www.pparx.org/], RxAssist.org [http://www.rxassist.org/] provides a great directory of PAPs with their respective requirements

Most PAP will require some of the following (but not limited to)

• Patient is not covered by a private insurance plan that pays for your prescription drugs during the time of application
  • Patient does not qualify for any government (state or federal) program that may be able to pay for your prescription drugs.
  • Patient has proof of financial hardship and sometime, some programs will need patient's physician to sign paper work
  • Patient must complete the PAP application process and give the company all the required information which may include tax forms, proof of address, etc.

Looking for other ways to save money on prescription medications, read the quick 5 tips http://www.learnvest.com/knowledge-center/save-money-on-prescription-medications-with-these-5-tips/

If you are planning to apply for a Patient Drug Assistance Program, you should  know that each pharmaceutical (drug) company with a Patient Assistance Program sets requirements for its own program. The requirements vary from one company to the next. But in general, you are likely to qualify if:
  • You are not covered by a private insurance plan that pays for your prescription drugs.
  • You do not qualify for any government (state or federal) program that will pay for your prescription drugs.
  • Payment for your prescription drugs at the retail price will cause you a financial hardship.
  • You complete their application process and give the company all the required information.
Some programs allow your doctor to simply write a letter stating that you have a financial hardship. This is where your doctor can play a key role in the application process. 

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Healthcare Generosity has Overwhelming Benefits for You and Society
In tough times, lots of folks think when it comes to healthcare, tightening the purse strings, letting folks fend for themselves and advocating tough ...
What are silent killer diseases?
When probed about the scariest diseases, many doctors point to ones that disguise their warning sign...
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
If you’ve gained a little weight or your hair is a bit thinner, check out some common problems and what they may mean for your health.
Can Remote Patient Monitoring Devices Give a False Sense of Security?