Is palliative or hospice care ever practiced in hospitals?

Absolutely.  Both palliative and hospice care can be provided in hospital, although in-patient hospice (where the patient stays in the hospital but is on hospice) may not be offered in all hospitals.

Both palliative and hospice care are considered "comfort care" and are managed by teams of healthcare and social services providers.  Although frequently it is in a patient's home that hospice and palliative care are rendered, more and more hospitals are taking the proactive approach to dealing with symptom control much earlier.  That's a good thing for patients as often they experience quality of life issues with pain, nausea, dizziness, constipation.  We encourage family and patients to talk with their doctor/oncologist about palliative care early on in their treatment plan.  As our founding father, Ben Franklin said, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." 

Palliative and hospice care may be provided in a hospital or other medical facility or in the privacy of your own home. Both palliative and hospice care involve medical professionals working with a team of psychological or spiritual care givers to allow for the best quality of life during the end stages of illness. Palliative care may begin in the earlier stages of treatment when medicines and other procedures are being used to treat the illness. Once hospice care has begun, medical treatments for pain may still be allowed if requested by the family or the person who is terminally ill.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

The #1 Way to be a Better Patient
The #1 Way to be a Better Patient
Have you ever walked out of the doctor’s office and immediately forgotten what the doc told you? Don’t worry, you’re not alone: According to research...
What is urgent care?
CareNowCareNow
Urgent care provides convenient treatment for non-life-threatening medical needs on a walk-in basis....
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
If you’ve gained a little weight or your hair is a bit thinner, check out some common problems and what they may mean for your health.
What Does Personalized Medicine Mean?
What Does Personalized Medicine Mean?