Is palliative or hospice care ever practiced in hospitals?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Palliative and hospice care may be provided in a hospital or other medical facility or in the privacy of your own home. Both palliative and hospice care involve medical professionals working with a team of psychological or spiritual care givers to allow for the best quality of life during the end stages of illness. Palliative care may begin in the earlier stages of treatment when medicines and other procedures are being used to treat the illness. Once hospice care has begun, medical treatments for pain may still be allowed if requested by the family or the person who is terminally ill.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

What type of primary care physician (PCP) is best for me?
Dr. Scott A. Wolf, DODr. Scott A. Wolf, DO
The choice of which type of primary care physician (PCP) is best for you may come down to where you ...
What does a Chief Medical Officer (CMO) do?
Northside HospitalNorthside Hospital
As a CMO, one is responsible for bringing together the medical staff and administration.
Are assisted suicide and euthanasia the same?
Although the terms assisted suicide and euthanasia are often used interchangeably, they are actually...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...