How do I file a complaint against my dentist?

Even in the best dentist-patient relationship, a problem may occur. First, discuss any concerns you have with your dentist. Many times this will help clear up the matter. If you are still not pleased, contact your state or local dental association.

Local dental societies have established a dispute resolution system called peer review to help resolve the occasional disagreement about dental treatment. Peer review provides an impartial and easily accessible means for resolving misunderstandings regarding the appropriateness or quality of care and, in certain instances, about the fees charged for dental treatment.

A peer review committee will attempt to mediate the problem. They may meet to discuss the case and may examine clinical records, talk to the dentist and patient and, when indicated, arrange for a clinical examination.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

What agencies should I inform about a loved one's death?
Michael E. Hirsch, MDMichael E. Hirsch, MD
You'll need to inform certain agencies and organizations about the death of your loved one for f...
How are surgical instruments different for pediatric surgery?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
The instruments used in pediatrics are smaller and can operate in a smaller space.
When is urgent care best?
CareNowCareNow
A primary care relationship offers just that, a relationship. But the real value is monitoring healt...
What are appropriate use criteria?
SCAISCAI
Appropriate use criteria are detailed recommendations addressing when medical procedures should be p...