How do I file a complaint against my dentist?

Even in the best dentist-patient relationship, a problem may occur. First, discuss any concerns you have with your dentist. Many times this will help clear up the matter. If you are still not pleased, contact your state or local dental association.

Local dental societies have established a dispute resolution system called peer review to help resolve the occasional disagreement about dental treatment. Peer review provides an impartial and easily accessible means for resolving misunderstandings regarding the appropriateness or quality of care and, in certain instances, about the fees charged for dental treatment.

A peer review committee will attempt to mediate the problem. They may meet to discuss the case and may examine clinical records, talk to the dentist and patient and, when indicated, arrange for a clinical examination.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Medications and Mosquitoes: The Latest Developments
Q: Congress passed a Right-to-Try bill, which means that people who are terminally ill can try new drugs without FDA approval. That’s a good thing, ri...
How has medical school changed over time?
Andrew WeilAndrew Weil
The knowledgebase of medicine is always changing, but are medical schools keeping up? In this vi...
5 Bogus Health Tips
5 Bogus Health Tips5 Bogus Health Tips5 Bogus Health Tips5 Bogus Health Tips
These common health rules may not be as accurate as you think.
Are Patients Too Willing to Share Information Over Social Media?