How is an advance directive used in relation to euthanasia?

An advance directive is a written document that contains your wishes regarding medical and end-of-life issues. An advance directive may include any one of three documents: the medical power of attorney, the DNR (do not resuscitate order), and the living will. These documents may sometimes be called by different names in different states or may be combined into other formats, but the content remains virtually the same. The medical power of attorney (POA) states who is legally responsible to make medical decisions for you if you are no longer able to do so. The DNR will state that you do not want any form of CPR, or cardiopulmonary resuscitation, if your heart or lungs stop. A living will clearly explains the medical, life-sustaining procedures you don't want if something happens to you and you cannot give or deny consent. These procedures may include feeding tubes, respirators, ventilators, or any form of resuscitation. An advance directive would be used to determine your wishes if you were no longer able to communicate.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

A Nurse's Perspective: The 3 Most Awesome Healthcare Tips
As the head nurse at a level 2 trauma center, I listen and communicate with empathy to help my patients to survive, heal and go home healthier. But I’...
What is the difference between an acute condition and a chronic disease?
National Center for HomeopathyNational Center for Homeopathy
An acute condition is one that lasts for a short time but can begin quickly and have intense symptom...
Top 5 Body Disasters -- At Work
Top 5 Body Disasters -- At WorkTop 5 Body Disasters -- At WorkTop 5 Body Disasters -- At WorkTop 5 Body Disasters -- At Work
Find out how to deal with these embarrassing issues that could derail your workday.
When Will Electronic Medical Records Be Universal?