How many hours per week do most new hospital doctors work?

Resident doctors and most starting doctors work an average of 105 hours a week. To stop (or at least reduce) some of that madness, The Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (which accredits 7,800 residency programs in the United States) ruled that residents must not work more than 80 hours in a week or more than 24 hours in a row and must get 1 day off a week. Generous of them, huh? Well, it helped; in hospitals without restrictions, resident hours have dropped to 74 hours from 105 hours a week. Not a typo. If new doctors were forced to work only 13 hours a day for 6 days straight, many would feel like they've gone part-time.
YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Should I talk to my doctor about different dosing?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
It is very important to have an open communication with your physician. He needs to know how you are...
How can my primary care doctor help me maintain my health?
A primary care doctor can help you maintain your health by keeping you up to date on your preventive...
What's wrong with healthcare and medicine today?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Healthcare professionals have different views about the problems facing our medical system today. In...
How Do We Get All This Patient Health Data to Synch Up?