How many hours per week do most new hospital doctors work?

Resident doctors and most starting doctors work an average of 105 hours a week. To stop (or at least reduce) some of that madness, The Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (which accredits 7,800 residency programs in the United States) ruled that residents must not work more than 80 hours in a week or more than 24 hours in a row and must get 1 day off a week. Generous of them, huh? Well, it helped; in hospitals without restrictions, resident hours have dropped to 74 hours from 105 hours a week. Not a typo. If new doctors were forced to work only 13 hours a day for 6 days straight, many would feel like they've gone part-time.
YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Medications and Mosquitoes: The Latest Developments
Q: Congress passed a Right-to-Try bill, which means that people who are terminally ill can try new drugs without FDA approval. That’s a good thing, ri...
What is a hospital discharge summary?
If you've been hospitalized, your discharge summary records will include everything noted about your...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
Is the Quantified Self a Passing Fad?
Is the Quantified Self a Passing Fad?