Where can I find information on assisted living facilities?

Anthony Cirillo
Geriatric Medicine

Well start with me. I am the expert guide to assisted living at about.com. http://assistedliving.about.com

Also, there are national associations that represent the industry and all have consumer information about services throughout the continuum of care. Each have state affiliates.

• American Health Care Association - www.ahca.org
  • Leading Age - www.leadingage.org
  • Assisted Living Federation of America - www.alfa.org

The government can help too: http://www.medicare.gov/NHCompare/Static/tabSI.asp?language=English&activeTab=3&subTab=3&Alternatives=HCAHPS1

And check with your state for specific regulations and information.

The following resources have information on assisted living facilities in your area:
  • Your state or local Area Agency on Aging (AAA).
  • Your state’s long-term care ombudsman’s office.
  • Your state’s licensing agency.
  • The Assisted Living Federation of America (www.alfa.org) provides lists of its member residences by each state. The lists do not include all residences in each state.
  • The American Association of Homes and Services for the Aging (www.aahsa.org) provides lists of not-for-profit residences by state.
  • The Federal government’s Eldercare Locator (www.eldercare.gov) helps you find the closest Area Agency on Aging (AAA) office and the state long-term care ombudsman’s office.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

How to Get Generic Drugs You Need
How to Get Generic Drugs You Need
“It was just on the tip of my tongue. What was it?” If you’re taking medication, chances are the answer to your questions is, “A generic drug.” About...
How do urgent care physicians compare to primary care physicians?
CareNowCareNow
In most cases it is simply a different venue of care. While some urgent care clinicians have emergen...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
How Will the Doctor's Role Change in Future Healthcare?