What is the environmental impact of cremation?

People are becoming more aware of the environmental impact of traditional burials, which use an enormous amount of resources, such as rare woods and metals in the casket and cement for a required bunker to line the grave sites, and release toxins from embalmed bodies. The open space used for cemeteries is also a concern for crowded urban areas and countries, such as Japan and Taiwan, where any open space is at a premium. But what about the environmental impact cremation generates?

While the process of cremation utilizes natural gas, propane or diesel to generate energy and results in emissions, it's difficult to precisely calculate the carbon footprint of a cremation. Varying quantities of energy and resources are consumed depending on factors like time of day, body size and type of container.

The latest cremators are computerized and optimized for efficiency and emissions reduction. Potentially toxic substances such as radioactive isotopes used to treat some forms of cancer as well as other materials are removed from bodies before processing. Residual metals from dental fillings or hip replacements are also separated and potentially recycled. In a traditional burial, these items might not be typically removed.

Crematory operators can work towards making cremation more ecologically sound by batching cremations. This helps avoid expending extra energy by preheating the incinerator at single intervals rather than at multiple times. They can also avoid putting plastic or rubber items in the containers that will release toxic smoke.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Choosing a Surgeon: How Much Experience is Enough?
An old joke involves a patient asking the doctor, “Have you been successful doing this surgery?”If the doctor says, “Yes, I’ve been successful,” tha...
What information about my medications should I organize before I die?
EverplansEverplans
It is important to gather information about your automatically renewing medication before you die. T...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
Can Remote Patient Monitoring Devices Give a False Sense of Security?