If I donate organs, can I have an open casket at my funeral?

Yes, you can have an open casket funeral after organ donation. Donation does not interfere with an open casket service. Surgical techniques are used to retrieve organs and tissues, and all incisions are closed.
This answer is based on source information from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

Yes. Once your donated organs are removed from your body, your body is sewn back up and your body remains visually unaltered for an open casket.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

The #1 Way to be a Better Patient
The #1 Way to be a Better Patient
Have you ever walked out of the doctor’s office and immediately forgotten what the doc told you? Don’t worry, you’re not alone: According to research...
How might my loved one react to the diagnosis of a terminal illness?
David KuhlDavid Kuhl
The moment someone is told that their illness will likely result in death, time changes. Paradox...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
What Does Personalized Medicine Mean?
What Does Personalized Medicine Mean?