Is delirium is a sign of a medication-related problem (MRP) in the elderly?

Sarah N. Mourra, MD
Neurology
Delirium is a syndrome that doctors typically identify with four key symptoms in the elderly who have medication-related problems (MRPs). The following are those key symptoms:
  • inattention or difficulty focusing, being distracted and having trouble focusing while having a conversation
  • difficulty with alertness, falling asleep in the middle of a conversation
  • rapid onset of symptoms, over hours or days
  • thought processes that are really disorganized
You may be thinking, “How can I tell if my elder or the person I’m caring for has an underlying dementia?” Individuals with dementia often will not manifest such a sudden change, and also they often will not have difficulty focusing or paying attention to what you’re saying even though they are cognitively impaired.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

4 Smart Steps to Prevent Weekend Medical Mistakes
The eagle flies on Friday declared T-Bone Walker in the 1947 hit tune "Stormy Monday." That blues-y phrase means Friday equals payday—and that equals ...
How might my loved one react to the diagnosis of a terminal illness?
David KuhlDavid Kuhl
The moment someone is told that their illness will likely result in death, time changes. Paradox...
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
Be honest, speak up and don't forget to stop in and say hello
Will Digital Health Improve the Doctor/Patient Relationship?