Why can't I use my cell phone in a hospital?

Many hospitals restrict cell phone use by patients and visitors because of the possibility that the cell phones could affect the functioning of medical equipment. How legit is this worry? It depends on who you ask, but science hasn't exactly shown it to be a huge danger. Research published in the Mayo Clinic Proceedings found that cell phones posed little danger to the functioning of hospital medical devices in a test—they only affected function in about 1.2% of cases and had no effect on half of the machines tested.

Translated, you can probably use your cell phone in your room (or the rest room) without worrying about short-circuiting a patient's ventilator down the hall. I've seen plenty of visitors and patients ignoring the cell phone policies in hospitals, and I've never heard of a case in which a cell phone caused an equipment problem.

Keeping in touch with your family and health care team is often a challenge when you're in the hospital (during those moments when you're not unconscious, asleep, or being sewn, kneaded, or wheeled about by the staff), and making calls via the expensive room phone can be a hassle. So go ahead and use your cell phone, just be discreet about it. And make sure you wipe down the germy cell phone down with a disinfectant before you use it.
YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

The #1 Way to be a Better Patient
The #1 Way to be a Better Patient
Have you ever walked out of the doctor’s office and immediately forgotten what the doc told you? Don’t worry, you’re not alone: According to research...
How does organizing my documents before I die help my family?
EverplansEverplans
Organizing your documents before you die can be a big help for your family. After a death, there are...
Top 5 Body Disasters -- At Work
Top 5 Body Disasters -- At WorkTop 5 Body Disasters -- At WorkTop 5 Body Disasters -- At WorkTop 5 Body Disasters -- At Work
Find out how to deal with these embarrassing issues that could derail your workday.
Are We Going to See a Consumer Medical App Without a Physician Component?