Why am I more likely to get another concussion if I've had one before?

Christopher Giza, MD
Pediatrics
If you have had a concussion, you are three to six times more likely to get another concussion, and part of the reason is because you have a glucose energy crisis in your brain. Your brain is more vulnerable to another injury when it's not quite running on full power. When this happens, your reflexes are slow, your reactions aren't quite as good and you don't think as well. If you go back out into a situation where you will have to make split-second decisions and are trying to perform athletically at a high level of your ability but you have some of these handicaps, you are more likely to get injured again. You can get better with time if you let the brain heal.

This content originally appeared online at UCLA Health.

Continue Learning about Head Injuries

Why Head Injuries Affect Girls Differently Than Boys
Bumps and bruises are a normal part of childhood, especially if your young one is a fan of playground activities, like capture the flag or jump rope, ...
As a teen, what should I do if I bump my head badly?
Any type of head injury, no matter how minor it may seem, needs immediate attention, first from ...
Recognizing Concussion Symptoms in Your Child
Recognizing Concussion Symptoms in Your ChildRecognizing Concussion Symptoms in Your ChildRecognizing Concussion Symptoms in Your ChildRecognizing Concussion Symptoms in Your Child
Don't let hard head hits go unnoticed with these expert tips.
Protect Your Noggin With a Bike Helmet
Protect Your Noggin With a Bike Helmet