What are the side effects of radiation therapy for head and neck cancer?

Radiation therapy (radiotherapy) for head and neck cancer can produce many side effects. These include redness and inflammation of the skin (dermatitis), redness and sores in the mouth and throat (mucositis), dry mouth (which can lead to difficulty with swallowing and an increased risk of tooth cavities), and an abnormal or absent sense of smell or taste. Sore throat is usually the most prominent distressing effect of radiation therapy for head and neck cancer. A stiff jaw and decreased ability to open the mouth may also occur. Nausea is possible but not common. Food intake is often impaired; if this is severe, it may be necessary to have a feeding tube inserted into the stomach. Radiation of the neck can also cause the thyroid gland to become hypoactive, resulting in hypothyroidism.

Continue Learning about Head & Neck Cancer Treatment

Why should I consider robotic surgery if I have head or neck cancer?
Eric M. Genden, MDEric M. Genden, MD
Mount Sinai is one of very few centers in the country that use a robot to safely remove tumors, espe...
What are the side effects of surgery for my head and neck cancer?
The side effects of surgery for head and neck cancer depend on the location of the cancer and the ty...
Sanford - John Lee - Does head and neck cancer always require surgery
Are There Any New Treatments for Head and Neck Cancers That Are Resistant to Chemotherapy?