Do all types of head and neck cancer require surgery?

Brett Miles, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
No. Many patients with head and neck surgery are treated non-surgically, depending on the location and stage of the cancer. Head and neck cancer requires detailed evaluation and treatment planning and may involve surgery, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy. Patients with head and neck cancer should be evaluated and treated by a multidiciplinary head and neck cancer team at large medical centers which have significant experience in this area to provide the best outcomes in terms of cure and function. 
John H. Lee, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
Surgery isn't always necessary for head and neck cancers. Watch this video with Dr. John Lee of Sanford Health to learn when surgery for head and neck cancer makes sense -- and how other treatments may help too.

Continue Learning about Head & Neck Cancer Treatment

How should I care for my mouth during radiation for head or neck cancer?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
If you are receiving radiation therapy, it is important to take good care of your mouth. Keeping...
What is facial reconstruction "free flap" surgery?
Vishad Nabili, MDVishad Nabili, MD
Free-flap reconstructive surgery depends on what type of defect is located in the head and neck. If ...
Sanford - John Lee - Does head and neck cancer always require surgery
Sanford - John Lee - Are there clinical trials for head and neck cancer