Can I learn how to be happy?

Elizabeth Lombardo, PhD
Physical Therapy
Happiness is a skill, so you can indeed learn to be happier; focusing on gratitude is an important element. Watch clinical psychologist Elizabeth Lombardo, PhD, explain how to increase your happiness - and how forcing a smile or laugh can help, too!
Staness Jonekos
Health Education
For the many, happiness is the ultimate goal. How do you find happiness?
  • Slow down and think about it!
  • Ask yourself what makes me happy, and make a list.
  • Look at your list and ask yourself why are these things missing from my life?
  • Make a commitment to work on the things you can change that have blocked your happiness.
  • Every week take one "happiness item" from your list and set a goal to make it happen.
Before you know it, you the things that make you happy will be happening! Just like exercise, you must incorporate it into your life daily! You must exercise your happiness muscle! Finding happiness requires a commitment to change. It isn't always easy incorporating change into your life, but with practice it will get easier - just like exercise. Exercise happiness daily!

If genetics didn't give you a resilient personality, there are ways to enhance your happiness traits. The National Institutes of Health say happiness can be "practiced" through meditation, which also increases conscientiousness and empathy.

Continue Learning about Happiness

How to Quit Comparing Yourself to Others
When a new year begins, many of us get inspired to declare what habits we intend to acquire to effect personal transformation. But it’s also prudent t...
Can a fake smile make me happy?
Christine Carter, PhDChristine Carter, PhD
You really can fake it until you make it, so long as you know the right techniques. In this vide...
3 Habits of Happy People
3 Habits of Happy People3 Habits of Happy People3 Habits of Happy People3 Habits of Happy People
Want to live happier and healthier? Check out these habits of happy people and learn how they can improve your mood and help you feel better.
Happiness Does Your Heart Good
Happiness Does Your Heart Good