Can I learn how to be happy?

If genetics didn't give you a resilient personality, there are ways to enhance your happiness traits. The National Institutes of Health say happiness can be "practiced" through meditation, which also increases conscientiousness and empathy.

Staness Jonekos
Health Education
For the many, happiness is the ultimate goal. How do you find happiness?
  • Slow down and think about it!
  • Ask yourself what makes me happy, and make a list.
  • Look at your list and ask yourself why are these things missing from my life?
  • Make a commitment to work on the things you can change that have blocked your happiness.
  • Every week take one "happiness item" from your list and set a goal to make it happen.
Before you know it, you the things that make you happy will be happening! Just like exercise, you must incorporate it into your life daily! You must exercise your happiness muscle! Finding happiness requires a commitment to change. It isn't always easy incorporating change into your life, but with practice it will get easier - just like exercise. Exercise happiness daily!
Elizabeth Lombardo, PhD
Physical Therapy
Happiness is a skill, so you can indeed learn to be happier; focusing on gratitude is an important element. Watch clinical psychologist Elizabeth Lombardo, PhD, explain how to increase your happiness - and how forcing a smile or laugh can help, too!

Continue Learning about Happiness

Happiness Rx: Use Your Strengths
Happiness Rx: Use Your Strengths
In the movie The Martian, astronaut Mark Watney, played by actor Matt Damon, uses perseverance, ingenuity and a wicked sense of humor to survive the r...
Can having happy friends help make me happier?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
After crunching social network data derived from more than 4,700 adults in an arm of the Framing...
Top 10 Most Optimistic Cities in America
Top 10 Most Optimistic Cities in AmericaTop 10 Most Optimistic Cities in AmericaTop 10 Most Optimistic Cities in AmericaTop 10 Most Optimistic Cities in America
Find out where optimism is helping people stay young.
Health Benefits of Giving
Health Benefits of Giving