What are the symptoms of breast hypertrophy?

The most obvious symptom of breast hypertrophy is an increase in breast size. The term breast hypertrophy means breast enlargement. Sometimes, a woman will notice a feeling of fullness or discomfort before realizing that her breast is larger.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgeon

The symptoms of breast hypertrophy often bring women to my office for a breast reduction surgery. The main symptoms include: back pain, neck strain, grooving along the shoulder blades from the pressure of the brassiere, ulnar neuropathy (numbness along the medial hand, and arm), rashes or dermatitis underneath the fold. These patients have very large, heavy breasts that may also lead to occipital headaches, difficulty finding supportive brassieres and failure of conservative measures including NSAIDS medications, large brassieres and chiropractor therapy. A breast reduction will greatly reduce all of these symptoms and most often yields very happy and appreciative patients.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

My Pap Smear Was Abnormal. Should I Be Worried?
A Pap smear, a test that screens for cervical cancer, may not be the most dignified medical test for a woman—even peeing on a stick to see if you’re p...
How soon after having a hysterectomy can I have sex?
Dr. Lauren F. Streicher, MDDr. Lauren F. Streicher, MD
Intercourse the day after hysterectomy surgery would have catastrophic results. Until your gynecolog...
6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears
6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears
Beyond just sexual and reproductive health issues, your OB can work with you on the health of your bones, heart and more.
Are There Any Risks Associated with Surgery to Treat a Relaxed Vagina?