What are the symptoms of breast hypertrophy?

The most obvious symptom of breast hypertrophy is an increase in breast size. The term breast hypertrophy means breast enlargement. Sometimes, a woman will notice a feeling of fullness or discomfort before realizing that her breast is larger.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgeon

The symptoms of breast hypertrophy often bring women to my office for a breast reduction surgery. The main symptoms include: back pain, neck strain, grooving along the shoulder blades from the pressure of the brassiere, ulnar neuropathy (numbness along the medial hand, and arm), rashes or dermatitis underneath the fold. These patients have very large, heavy breasts that may also lead to occipital headaches, difficulty finding supportive brassieres and failure of conservative measures including NSAIDS medications, large brassieres and chiropractor therapy. A breast reduction will greatly reduce all of these symptoms and most often yields very happy and appreciative patients.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Tell Me Why… I Poop More During My Period
As if the cramps, bloating, mood swings, exhaustion and increased appetite during premenstrual syndrome (PMS) weren’t bad enough, your tummy may get o...
What could cause long-term vaginal itching?
Marcy Holmes, MSN, NPMarcy Holmes, MSN, NP
Various imbalances can contribute to vaginal itching. Top considerations include allergen contact, d...
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
From recovery time to your post-surgery sex life, we’re debunking some of the common misconceptions.
What Causes the Pain During Recovery from Traditional Open Hysterectomies?