Is it okay to have sex the night before my OB/GYN appointment?

Angela T. Valle, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Generally, it’s okay to have sex the night before your OB/GYN appointment. If you're seeing your doctor for a preventative exam and you don't have any complaints, it won’t change the exam at all. Usually Pap smears can still be done and still be satisfactory. However, if you don't want the small risk of having an unsatisfactory Pap smear, it's best not to have intercourse the night before.
Having intercourse without a condom the night before a Pap will not make a normal Pap smear abnormal, but it might obscure cervical cells so that it cannot be accurately read.

Should you cancel if you “forgot” the night before? Realistically, after waiting two months for an appointment, asking for the afternoon off work or desperately needing a refill on your birth control pills, it may not be practical to take a pass. Be sure to mention to your gynecologist that you had sex, and be aware that you may get a call back if the Pap can’t be read accurately.

On the other hand, if you are coming in specifically to check out an abnormal discharge or odor, you should probably reschedule. It’s pretty much impossible to figure out what is going on if you had intercourse hours before your visit.

If you are coming in for another problem, say abnormal bleeding, an STD check or pelvic pain, it really doesn’t matter.

Is it ever a good thing to have sex before your appointment? Actually, yes. If someone tells me they bleed every time they have sex, it is helpful to see where it is coming from -- the uterus, cervix or vagina.
The answer depends on why you're going to the ob-gyn. To find out when having intercourse the night before an exam is not recommended and why, watch this video to learn more.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

My Pap Smear Was Abnormal. Should I Be Worried?
A Pap smear, a test that screens for cervical cancer, may not be the most dignified medical test for a woman—even peeing on a stick to see if you’re p...
How important is a comprehensive patient history in treating pelvic pain?
St. Petersburg General HospitalSt. Petersburg General Hospital
It's vital to know a patient's medical history when treating for pelvic pain.
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
From recovery time to your post-surgery sex life, we’re debunking some of the common misconceptions.
What Is the Recovery Time for Traditional or Open Hysterectomy?