Can I take metformin for polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) while pregnant?

Some doctors allow pregnant women with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) to continue taking metformin in pregnancy, while others won't prescribe it to women trying to conceive. There is no evidence that it causes birth defects, but the long-term effects on the baby are not known. Women and their doctors should discuss the risks and benefits of medications. Women taking medication usually are monitored more closely.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

How Often Do You Really Need a Pap Smear?
Some 93 percent of cervical cancers could be prevented through HPV (human papillomavirus) vaccination and screenings, including regular Pap tests (als...
Can cancer treatment cause vaginal dryness?
Good In BedGood In Bed
Cancer treatments such as surgery, chemotherapy and radiation can all dry out the vagina, making sex...
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
From recovery time to your post-surgery sex life, we’re debunking some of the common misconceptions.
What Do I Need to Know About Over-the-Counter Lubricants or Moisturizers to Treat Vaginal Dryness?