Can I take metformin for polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) while pregnant?

Some doctors allow pregnant women with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) to continue taking metformin in pregnancy, while others won't prescribe it to women trying to conceive. There is no evidence that it causes birth defects, but the long-term effects on the baby are not known. Women and their doctors should discuss the risks and benefits of medications. Women taking medication usually are monitored more closely.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Should I have ovarian reserve testing done in my twenties?
Swedish Medical CenterSwedish Medical Center
It is not necessarily helpful to have ovarian reserve testing done in your twenties. However, if you...
Why do women have orgasms?
Evolutionarily, having an orgasm was one of the ways that women could tell whether a man would be a ...
Are Herbal or Other Dietary Supplements Safe and Effective to Treat Menopause Symptoms?
At What Age Should a Girl Start Seeing a Gynecologist?