What are some signs of overtraining in gymnastics?

Overtraining is a major concern for many athletes and must be guarded against.  With gymnasts, the overtraining can be difficult to see until an injury occurs.  Many injuries come from overuse without the proper recovery or a good aerobic base.  Heart rate monitoring is not effective in this sport because you are not sustaining a high heart rate for long periods of time and wearing a heart rate strap in most events could be dangerous.  Using resting heart rate at the beginning of the day could be a good way to determine how hard you should train that day.  If your resting heart rate is more that eight beats per minute higher than your average resting heart rate, your body is telling you that you are under some type of stress. This stress could be that you are getting sick, a lack of rest, poor nutrition, or you are just training too much. Let your body help determine the intensity and length of your workout that day.

Overtraining is actually very common among gymnasts due to the long hours spent in the gym and the intense training sessions that are performed on a daily basis.

Some signs of overtraining in gymnastics include:

• Decreased appetite
  • Unusual moodiness, irritability and/or emotional instability
  • Sudden drop in performance
  • Tired, drained, lack of energy
  • Feeling of depression
  • Loss of enthusiasm for training or gymnastics in general
  • Increased Resting Heart Rate
  • Increased incidence of injuries

If you recognize any of the above warning signs in yourself, or one of your gymnasts, it is important to objectively look at your training routine and make the necessary adjustments before you wind up sick or injured.

Remember that SMART training is the path to achieving your goals, and good health, as a gymnast!

Continue Learning about Gymnastics

Can anybody do gymnastics?
Yes and no.It is advisable to begin with a medical assessment before starting gymnastics to ensu...
What dynamic stretches can I do for gymnastics?
Dynamic stretches are a great preactivity warm-up and should be included for all athletes. These...
What can help me stick my landings in gymnastics?
Sticking the landing in gymnastics refers to a non-wobbling finish off an apparatus or at the co...
Will balance tools help my gymnastics?
Balance training with the right tools can be very fun, rewarding, and increase confidence during...