How does gout cause chronic kidney disease?

William J. Martin, MD
Rheumatology
Hyperuricemia (high uric acid) is a cause of chronic kidney disease in men whose uric acid levels are over 13 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) and in women whose levels exceed 10 mg/dL. Some evidence suggests that uric acid damages the kidneys, which also causes hypertension (high blood pressure).

Continue Learning about Gout

The Real Facts About Pseudo-Gout
The Real Facts About Pseudo-Gout
There are pseudo-kudos (“My, that’s a nice jacket. What street did you pick that up on?”), pseudo-musicians (“It must be heavy-lifting carrying that t...
When should I call my doctor if I have gout?
If you're having an attack of gout, it is best to see your doctor right away so that he or she may e...
Who is affected by gout?
William J. Martin, MDWilliam J. Martin, MD
About 15% of the population gets gout, and it’s more common in men than women. Premenopausal women a...
Ask the Experts: Gout Treatment
Ask the Experts: Gout Treatment