Why is gout more common in men?

Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Emergency Medicine
Gout occurs when the body forms crystals of uric acid, a substance that normally dissolves in the blood and passes out of the body in urine. These crystals can build up in specific joints and cause significant pain. Before menopause, women have lower levels of uric acid than men, and it’s believed that estrogen levels may be a factor. After menopause, women have similar levels of uric acid as men, which is why we also see women starting to develop gout by the time they reach their 50s or 60s.
Christopher Chiodo, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Gout affects men more frequently than women, probably because men have higher uric acid levels than women. That changes at menopause, however, which explains why men tend to develop gout between ages 30 and 50, while women are more likely to develop it after age 50.

Continue Learning about Gout Causes & Risks

What medications can increase my risk of developing gout?
Medications used to treat hypertension called thiazide diuretics may cause increased levels of uric ...
Can damage to my joints caused by gout be reversed?
Unfortunately, damage to your joints cannot be reversed. However, with treatment, any additional dam...
What to Do About Gout
What to Do About Gout
Got Gout? Here's How to Find Relief
Got Gout? Here's How to Find Relief