How can I reduce the chance of lower-back injuries from golf?

Professional and amateur golfers can reduce their risk of low back injury by improving their swing mechanics and participating in a strength training program. The trunk muscles serve dual roles of stabilization and torso rotation. Stabilization is key to minimizing potentially injurious forces on the spine. The following exercises can help strengthen the trunk and improve golf performance: bird dog, front and side planks, hanging twist, lunge with twist, prone twist, Roman chair twist, Russian twist, and lat pull-downs.

Continue Learning about Golf

What are some golf specific movements for my dynamic warm-up?
After a general aerobic activity warm-up using bodyweight squats or deadlifts, walking lunges, and m...
How do I increase my golf club speed?
Flexibility and strength training exercises may be the best and quickest way to improving your g...
What Stretches Can Golfers Do to Improve Hamstring Flexibility?
Exercises to Improve the Power of Your Golf Swing