What are the treatment options for gingivitis?

Gingivitis often improves after a professional dental scaling and cleaning that includes the removal of plaque and tartar. After seeing the dentist, however, it is important to practice good oral hygiene at home to prevent a recurrence of gingivitis. Your dentist or dental hygienist can demonstrate proper brushing and flossing techniques. They may also suggest that you regularly use an antiseptic mouth rinse.
During the early stage of gum disease known as gingivitis, the gums become red and swollen and may bleed easily. There is usually little or no discomfort. Gingivitis can be reversed with treatment (cleanings) in the dental office and good oral care at home. Once your dentist has treated you for gingivitis, he or she may recommend more frequent checkups. Good oral hygiene at home is also important to keeping periodontal disease from becoming more serious or from coming back.

Always remember to practice good oral hygiene by brushing twice a day, cleaning between your teeth once a day, eating a balanced diet and scheduling regular dental visits for a lifetime of healthy smiles.

Continue Learning about Gingivitis

How common is gingivitis?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Gingivitis is the mildest form of periodontal disease and can be very common. It causes the gums to ...
How can gingivitis be prevented?
Gingivitis is the mildest form of periodontal disease (an infection that affects the tissues and bon...
What are the signs of gum disease?
Signs of gum disease include: Red or swollen gums Tender or bleeding gums Painful chewing Loos...
When should I call my dentist if I have gingivitis?
If you think you have gingivitis, schedule a dental appointment right away. Gingivitis can usually b...