What is the link between gingivitis and old age?

Older people have more risk factors for gingivitis, compared to younger people. Older persons may not be generally as healthy as younger persons, may be more forgetful, more prone to depression, and may not function as well as someone who is younger. They may also have weaker immune systems than healthy middle-aged adults, and may be taking one of many medications that are associated with an increased risk for periodontal disease, including gingivitis. In addition, for women, the hormonal fluctuations that come with menopause may cause a painful form of gingivitis called desquamative gingivitis.

Continue Learning about Gingivitis

When should I seek immediate care if I have gingivitis?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
In most circumstances, you should not need immediate care if you have gingivitis. Gingivitis is t...
Can prescription drugs make gingivitis more likely?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
YES! Inflammation of the gums (gingiva) can be caused by prescribed drugs. Anything that changes the...
How can gingivitis be prevented?
Gingivitis is the mildest form of periodontal disease (an infection that affects the tissues and bon...
What's the difference between gingivitis and periodontitis?
Periodontal (gum) diseases are classified according to the severity of the disease. The two majo...