How do medications treat gingivitis?

Medications are not used to treat gingivitis. However, the use of certain medications may increase your risk of developing the condition. These medications include oral and injectable contraceptives, cyclosporine, phenytoin, and calcium channel-blockers.
Gingivitis is the mildest form of periodontal disease that causes the gums to become red and swollen and to bleed easily. There is usually little or no discomfort and it can be reversed with treatment in the dental office and good oral care at home.  

Continue Learning about Gingivitis

How common is gingivitis?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Gingivitis is the mildest form of periodontal disease and can be very common. It causes the gums to ...
When should I seek immediate care if I have gingivitis?
In most circumstances, you should not need immediate care if you have gingivitis. Gingivitis is t...
Can gingivitis become a dental emergency?
Gingivitis is a milder and reversible form of periodontal disease that only affects the gums. If not...
What is menstruation gingivitis?
Menstruation gingivitis is inflammation and irritation of the gums caused by changes in the hormones...