Why are some babies large who are born to women with diabetes?

In the past, babies born to women with diabetes tended to be large. This problem, called macrosomia, was the baby’s response to having extra amounts of glucose from the mother’s blood. 

Macrosomia is less common, but sometimes the baby is too large or the woman’s pelvis is too small for a safe vaginal delivery. Trying to deliver a too-large baby vaginally can result in shoulder damage or respiratory distress for the baby. In this case, a C-section is performed.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
Gestational Diabetes and the Power of Breastfeeding
When Mariah Carey developed gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) before she delivered twins in April of 2011 she hoped giving birth would put her worri...
How should I eat if I have gestational diabetes?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have gestational diabetes, you should try to eat a very small breakfast, with a similar mid-m...
Are there general diet guidelines for someone with gestational diabetes?
Laura RussellLaura Russell
The good news with gestational diabetes is that any food can fit- it is all about portion size and t...