What is a crash diet?

Crash diets cut calories drastically. They often restrict entire food groups as well. Such diets can result in rapid weight loss, although that weight is mostly water. That's because to the body a crash diet feels like being starved, and its reaction to starvation is to release water. As soon as you start eating normally again, the water—and the weight—will return.

Beware of any diet that drastically cuts calories, forbids entire food groups (like fruits or grains), includes pills or potions, advises that you eat foods only in certain combinations or tells you to skip meals. In the long run, crash diets won't help you lose weight and keep it off.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Diets

The South Beach Diet
The South Beach Diet
Weight loss diets abound. So do the reasons most people say the diets don't work. Usually it's because they are too complicated, don't provide enough ...
How should I eat to balance my hormones for weight loss?
Jennifer Cohen KatzJennifer Cohen Katz
The most important thing to remember in order to better balance hormones for weight loss and relief ...
How should I choose foods when following the Traffic Light eating style?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
When following the Traffic Light eating style, choose green-light foods daily or often. Green-ligh...
How can I make my diet healthier?
Recently, the rankings for America’s top diets were released. The medical team from "The Dr. Oz Show...