Does one diet plan fit all?

One diet plan absolutely does not fit all. Nutrient and caloric needs vary greatly from person to person depending on whether they are male or female, young or old, active or not. One must also take into consideration physiological conditions such as illness, chronic diseases, food allergies, even lifestyle choices in determining what diet plan would be appropriate. If a "cookie cutter" approach or a "one plan fits all" was correct, then the incidence of obesity and disease would be greatly reduced.

Thanks for the wonderful answer Dr. Oz, I will tell you one thing that is a one size fits all for all people and that is calorie management.  The more aware we are of calories consumed versus burned the more we will be able to manage weight and get and remain healthy.

All diets whether knowingly or unknowningly all target a reduction in calories, but too much of a reduction in calories can be unhealthy due to a lack of nutrients.  Many times if your calories are the appropriate then the answer is to simply increase activity.  The point being the first step is always to manage your calories and be aware of what you are doing.

Then there is tremendous importance in ratio of macronutrients and food choices.

I would rather follow a diet that sees me lucid and active enough to play with my grandchildren than one under which I die young but look great.

It’s no secret that a diet that’s good for a boy in his prime growth-spurt years is not so good for a middle-aged man, or that what counts as adequate nutrients for a woman when she is breast-feeding in her 20s is different from when she is postmenopausal in her 70s. Yet as consumers, we accept blanket statements about how many servings of which food groups to eat and what constitutes optimum calorie counts and vitamin percentages.

I have performed more than 5,000 heart surgeries, and I recommend a diet low in saturated and trans fats to prevent the buildup of arterial plaque. But I still can’t tell you why I can see two patients in one afternoon who have both spent decades eating large amounts of bacon, butter and baked goods and yet have completely opposite angiogram reports.

Family Making Sandwiches

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Diets

The Quick-Fix Mediterranean Diet
The Quick-Fix Mediterranean Diet
Adding international flair to your diet could quickly lead to a healthier heart. After only 3 months of eating a Mediterranean diet, study participan...
What are some popular weight-loss diets?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
There are so many diets out there. I like the GoBeFull diet which is a based on foods that lead to w...
5 Weight Loss Myths You Should Stop Believing
5 Weight Loss Myths You Should Stop Believing5 Weight Loss Myths You Should Stop Believing5 Weight Loss Myths You Should Stop Believing5 Weight Loss Myths You Should Stop Believing
Want to keep the belly bulge at bay? Get one expert’s advice on how to avoid some dietary pitfalls.
How Can Drinking Diet Soda Lead to Weight Gain?