How do other illnesses affect GI bleeding?

The underlying conditions for GI bleeding can be even more serious than the actual illness. This is because GI bleeding is often associated with some very serious illnesses. Some of these underlying conditions in the upper GI tract are ulcers, liver disease, gastritis, arteriovenous malformations (AVMs) and varices. In the lower GI tract causes of bleeding include, a tumor, colon cancer, ulcers, polyps, colitis, diverticulosis, and hemorrhoids.

Continue Learning about GI Bleeding

How does GI bleeding affect the body?
GI bleeding is a frightening condition for the person who suffers from it. However, it can also sign...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with GI bleeding?
You can care for someone with GI bleeding by following the indications of their doctor regarding tre...
Does alcohol cause GI bleeding?
Alcohol in large amounts over a period of time can lead to alcoholic gastritis, which can irritate t...
What increases my risk for GI bleeding?
The main risk factor for GI bleeding is older age—but remember, GI bleeding is usually a sign of ano...