If I think I might have gallstones, when should I see a doctor?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Often gallstones don't block anything or cause any symptoms; you may not even know they are present. If you suspect that you have gallstones, you probably should notify your doctor. If, however, you have a gallbladder attack, you should see a doctor right away if you have even one of the following symptoms:

• Nausea/vomiting
  • Jaundice (yellowish skin or whites of the eyes)
  • Fever/chills (even a low-grade fever)
  • Clay-colored stools
  • Pain for more than 5 hours (most stones that dislodge on their own will do so in this time)

These signs can indicate a blockage or infection, and should be checked out as soon as possible. Also if you have repeated or very intense attacks, see your doctor.

If you have gallstones, you should call your doctor if you have any of the following symptoms:

• abdominal pain, especially in your upper right abdomen. The pain may be sharp or more of a cramping sensation.
  • nausea and vomiting (not associated with a stomach virus)
  • fever of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher
  • chills
  • yellowish tint in the skin and/or eyes.
  • gray or light colored stools
  • dark yellow/brown urine

It is especially important to call your doctor at the first sign of these symptoms if you have gallstones and you also have another chronic condition such as diabetes or a compromised immune system. Since gallstone attacks often resolve on their own, your doctor may try "watchful waiting" initially before recommending treatment, but it is very important that your doctor supervise you carefully when you are experiencing these symptoms.

Continue Learning about Gallstones

What causes gallstones?
Doctors are not sure about what causes gallstones. It's possible that the bile in your gallbladder m...
What kinds of questions should I ask my doctor about gallstones?
Creating a list of questions before you see your doctor will help you get the most from your appoint...
What is a gallstone?
Gallstones form when substances in bile harden. Your gallbladder is a small organ located in the upp...
What kinds of questions might my doctor ask me about gallstones?
Your doctor will probably want to know when your symptoms began and how severe they are. She or he m...