What is fungus?

A fungus is a type of organism that lives in soil, water, on plants and in the air. Mold is a common example. Some types of fungus can also live and grow on body tissues, such as the fingernails or skin, leading to an infection. Infections caused by fungus include yeast infections and ringworm infections (such as jock itch or athlete's foot). Fungus usually grows best in moist, dark areas, such as folds of skin. People with weak immune systems have a higher risk of fungal infections.

Continue Learning about Fungal Infections

What medications treat fungal eye infections?
Dr. Wayne BizerDr. Wayne Bizer
Fortunately, fungal infections of the eye are somewhat rare. They can affect the clear window of the...
How do I manage my fungal infections on a daily basis?
You can manage your fungal infections on a daily basis by following the indications of your doctor r...
How do fungal infections affect the body?
Fungal infections occur because of exposure to a fungus when there is a weakness in the body. This w...
Sizing Up Athlete's Foot
Sizing Up Athlete's Foot