What is the treatment for ringworm in children?

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics

Most skin ringworm (not actually a worm, but rather a fungus) infections in children are easily treated with an over the counter anti-fungal cream, like Lotrimin. Yes, I do mean the athlete's foot cream.

If the fungal infection is on the scalp, usually an oral anti-fungal medication is needed. This is because the skin of the scalp has a thicker keratin layer and the creams and ointments have a harder time being absorbed enough. In babies, you should just use the anti-fungal cream or ointment because their keratin layer of the scalp is not as thick and we avoid the oral form of medication.

Continue Learning about Fungal Infections

How are fungal infections diagnosed?
Doctors use different techniques to diagnose fungal infection depending on whether it is a superfici...
How do vaginal anti-fungal suppositories interact with other medications?
No drug interactions are likely to occur with vaginal anti-fungal suppositories. However, talk to yo...
How does my location affect fungal infections?
Certain fungi are specific to a given location and, thus, the type of fungal infection you devel...
Sizing Up Athlete's Foot
Sizing Up Athlete's Foot