What is the treatment for ringworm in children?

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics

Most skin ringworm (not actually a worm, but rather a fungus) infections in children are easily treated with an over the counter anti-fungal cream, like Lotrimin. Yes, I do mean the athlete's foot cream.

If the fungal infection is on the scalp, usually an oral anti-fungal medication is needed. This is because the skin of the scalp has a thicker keratin layer and the creams and ointments have a harder time being absorbed enough. In babies, you should just use the anti-fungal cream or ointment because their keratin layer of the scalp is not as thick and we avoid the oral form of medication.

Continue Learning about Fungal Infections

What is bronchopulmonary aspergillosis?
MediGuardMediGuard
The aspergillus fungus can grow on dead leaves or in bird droppings, stored grain, compost stacks or...
How do fungal infections affect the body?
Fungal infections occur because of exposure to a fungus when there is a weakness in the body. This w...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with a fungal infection?
If you are caring for someone with a fungal infection you can help them by providing them the ca...
What are fungal infections?
A fungal infection is caused by an infection of some sort of fungus in various parts of the body, ei...