What is a joint capsule?

The joint capsule is a tough, connective tissue membrane that is attached to the bones just outside the cartilage and that encloses the joint cavity. The capsule holds the bones and other parts of the joint together.

Continue Learning about Functions of Joints

What is a ball and socket joint?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
A ball and socket joint is a type of synovial joint, such as the hip and shoulder joints. In this ty...
How does my knee joint work?
Los Robles Hospital & Medical CenterLos Robles Hospital & Medical Center
Anatomically, the knee joint is considered two separate joints. The first joint is between the femur...
What is the anatomy of a joint?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
The anatomy of a joint consists of muscles, tendons, and other structures. A joint is where bones me...
A Remedy for Stiff Joints
A Remedy for Stiff Joints