Can compression stockings help alleviate tired legs and feet?

Sometimes, after a hard day, your legs may feel like they have about as much zip as a napping cat. They feel heavy, you feel tired, and the only thing you want your legs to do is hang out on the ottoman. One solution: Socks or stockings that compress your feet, calves, and thighs. Besides giving you the benefit of decreasing the chance of developing varicose veins, these stockings - after a day of wear - will make your legs feel stronger and more well-rested. How? They decrease the pooling of blood in your legs, letting your heart function better.
Though the best stockings are custom-made, off-the-shelf ones work well, too; choose ones with pressures starting at 10 millimeters Hg and on up to 40 millimeters Hg. The higher the pressure, the better they work, but the more expensive they will be and the harder they are to put on. If you have no symptoms, choose 10 millimeters Hg; if you have mild swelling in your feet and legs, choose at least 20 millimeters Hg. You can wear compression stockings every day for about four months, washing them in cold water at night.

You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Foot Skin and Nail Care

5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
Athlete’s Foot Athlete’s foot, or tinea pedis, is an infection that leads to itchy, burning, scaly and inflamed skin. It’s caused by ringworm, a fungu...
What lifestyle factors can affect foot health?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Many of the same things you do to maintain your overall health can also help your feet stay heal...
How can I keep my feet healthy?
Looking after your feet can keep you free of problems that may lead to pain and even disability. The...
Worst Case Scenario: I Wear High Heels
Worst Case Scenario: I Wear High Heels