Can compression stockings help alleviate tired legs and feet?

Sometimes, after a hard day, your legs may feel like they have about as much zip as a napping cat. They feel heavy, you feel tired, and the only thing you want your legs to do is hang out on the ottoman. One solution: Socks or stockings that compress your feet, calves, and thighs. Besides giving you the benefit of decreasing the chance of developing varicose veins, these stockings - after a day of wear - will make your legs feel stronger and more well-rested. How? They decrease the pooling of blood in your legs, letting your heart function better.
Though the best stockings are custom-made, off-the-shelf ones work well, too; choose ones with pressures starting at 10 millimeters Hg and on up to 40 millimeters Hg. The higher the pressure, the better they work, but the more expensive they will be and the harder they are to put on. If you have no symptoms, choose 10 millimeters Hg; if you have mild swelling in your feet and legs, choose at least 20 millimeters Hg. You can wear compression stockings every day for about four months, washing them in cold water at night.

You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Foot Skin and Nail Care

How can I have healthy looking feet?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
A doctor offers these tips to maintain healthy-looking feet all year round: Soak feet regularly ...
How can I treat corns and calluses?
Treat corns and calluses. These hard, thickened areas of skin can be treated with warm soaks and slo...
Why should I moisturize my feet as I get older?
Christopher Chiodo, MDChristopher Chiodo, MD
As you move into your 50s, 60s, and beyond, your skin may begin to dry out. Unless you moisturiz...
What should I do if I think my ingrown nail is infected?
Talk to your doctor if your ingrown nail becomes infected -- he or she can prescribe an antibiotic t...