How can wearing high heels hurt my feet?

Watch as internal medicine specialist Dr. Keri Peterson explains why wearing high heels may be harmful.

Yes, high heels both cause and exacerbate foot problems. Sprained ankles, strained muscles, heel blisters, callouses, bunions, toe deformities, plantar fasciitis, and back/knee pain are all associated with the constant wearing of high heels. That’s why it is important to not wear the same shoes every day and to alternate between heels and flats and supportive shoes. It is also essential to do heel and calf stretches to mitigate pain. Inserts/orthotics can possibly relieve pain instantly, as well.

Dr. Hillary B. Brenner, DPM
Podiatrist (Foot Specialist)

You may love how your feet look in high heels, but it's likely your feet don't feel the same way. To find out why high heels can harm your feet, watch this video featuring podiatric surgeon Dr. Hillary Brenner.

Calluses, corns, ingrown toenails and hammertoes all result from cramming feet into steeply arched, unpadded shoes that force the foot forward. This can also irritate nerves on the ball of the foot, triggering neuromas. Despite the discomfort—or downright agony—many women continue to wear high heels and other painful shoes, according to the American Podiatric Medical Association. Unfortunately, once the feet go, so does physical activity. Can you guess what's right behind (or about to be on your behind)? That's right: weight gain.

Continue Learning about Foot and Ankle Conditions

Worst Case Scenario: I Wear High Heels Every Day
High heels may turn your outfit up a notch, but they can wreak havoc on your body. “Other than how they make you look, there’s very little upside to ...
What is a podiatrist?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
A podiatrist treats foot and ankle problems of all sorts. We see foot and ankle injuries, sports med...
What is a home remedy for sore feet?
This foot bath is perfect to soothe tired and sore feet. The milk helps replenish dry skin and red...
What Is Recovery Like After Ankle Surgery?