How can I strengthen weak foot arches?

The best way to strengthen arches is to exercise barefoot or wearing shoes with minimal arch support. Most modern athletic footwear has very well built up arch supports which can weaken the arches. By eliminating the arch support the muscles of the arch and bottom of the feet will be forced to support the arch and will strengthen.
Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness Specialist

The feet are the foundation of any standing movement. Simply allowing your toes to move freely by wearing toe shoes, toe socks, or going barefoot, will help strengthen the many muscles and tendons of the foot and can improve your arches. Weighting the feet in a variety of ways can also improve arches. Start by rooting all four corners of your feet to the floor. Then shift your weight to the ball of the foot and come up to your toes. Shift your weight back to the heels now and lightly lift your toes. Making these movements a regular part of your practice will help to create a stronger foundation for the entire body.

Continue Learning about Foot and Ankle Conditions

Worst Case Scenario: I Wear High Heels Every Day
High heels may turn your outfit up a notch, but they can wreak havoc on your body. “Other than how they make you look, there’s very little upside to ...
What are the medial tarsometatarsal (TMT) joints?
Christopher W. Hodgkins, MDChristopher W. Hodgkins, MD
There are several small joints along the arch of the foot called the medial tarsometatarsal (TMT) jo...
Can wearing flip-flops cause foot problems?
Christopher Chiodo, MDChristopher Chiodo, MD
Planning to take a long walk? Need to get somewhere fast? You may want to leave your flip-flops ...
Are My Shoes Causing Foot Problems?
Are My Shoes Causing Foot Problems?