How can I store carob?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
Carob powder is available at most health food and whole food grocery stores and in the natural food section of many supermarkets. Stored in an airtight opaque container in a cool, dry, dark place as you would cocoa powder, carob powder will keep for up to twelve months.

Carob is also available in drops, bars, cookies, brownie and cake mixes, and a variety of confections, including frozen desserts. Store as you would store comparable products containing chocolate.

Should whole carob pods be available, choose glossy, dark brown pods, checking carefully for cracks or pits, which could signal infestation, or a musty smell, indicating mold.
Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Food Storage & Health

A Good Reason (Besides Taste) to Avoid Canned Foods Whenever Possible
In the late 18th century, Napoleon offered a reward to whoever could figure out how to safely preserve food for his traveling army. Nicholas Appert se...
How can I store grapes?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Grapes do not ripen after harvesting, so look for grapes that are well colored, plump, firmly attach...
What is the best way to store my broccoli?
Store broccoli and celery in the crisper.
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
Check out these tips for where to store and when to toss common food items in your kitchen from culinary nutritionist Stefanie Sacks.